CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 16, 2008

The past 2 weeks

The past 2 weeks we have been trying to keep the boys busy since it is summer vacation. On June 7th we took the kids to The Hutchings Museum in Lehi. We have been wanting to go since we moved here and when we saw it on the news as being one of the most haunted places in Utah, well, we had to go. Much to our dismay, we didn't see anything weird happen but it was a really cute museum. A lot of stuff for such a small place. The boys favorite parts were the dinosaur exhibit and the jail cell.

On June 9th I was determined to get the kids out so we decided to go on a picnic. I didn't want to drive far but I didn't want to go the the local park so we jumped in the car and went to Willow Park. It is about 5 minutes from our house and the boys had a blast throwing rocks and sticks in the river. Degan's favorite part.....peeing in the bushes. You gotta love boys. My favorite part.....it was free!!!

We decided to plant a garden this year and we were pulling weeds when all of a sudden Jon noticed this little guy hiding in the rocks. The boys were scared at first but then they were so excited to see him. We got him out and took him to a neighbor who said he is a Blue Racer Snake. We were surprised to see how long he was, a couple of feet at least.

On Friday Jon took the boys camping up in the Uinta National Forest to Payson Lakes. It was beautiful. I went up with Elora on Saturday to spend the day with them because there is no way that I am sleeping in a tent with a baby. I am glad I went and could see the boys having fun. They went on the canoe with Jon and Grandpa and we went on a really long walk around the entire lake. It is bigger than it looks. Tyler and Jon spent Saturday night there also but I took Degan home with me. I didn't want him to spend another night in the cold since we are dealing with tonsil issues with him. He gets to see a specialist on Thur. to see if they need to be removed. Anyway, Tyler loved the campfire and making S'mores and also sleeping in the tent but his favorite part......playing with the new knife that Jon gave him. He couldn't put it down. It scares the daylights out of me but I have to remember that he is growing up and can't be my baby forever.

Tyler just kicking back eating chips.

The canoe is parked on shore. We would never let him sit on the edge without a life jacket.

Elora liked putting her feet in the water.

Jon out fishing in the canoe. He did catch one and Tyler actually ate 3 bites. I personally think it is gross.

And today June 16th, I took the boys to a Hawk show. Our little city puts on a week of events each year and today's event was the Hawk show, only too bad for us it was very hot and the show had one hawk. The boys were very bored so we walked to the lake and put our feet in the water. Remind me next year not to do that again. Hopefully the fireworks and carnival will be fun on Saturday. So, how many more weeks of vacation to go??? I need more ideas to keep the kids busy. I have a few in mind. I will keep you posted.



6 comments:

Stacy

A snake! Scary. Did you just leave it in your yard? I hope the carnival is fun too. Good luck keeping the boys busy.

Megan

You are such a great mom planning all of these fun activities for the Summer. I grew up going to Payson Lakes and love walking around the lake as well! BYU has the Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum...here is their website http://mlbean.byu.edu/home/. They have live animal shows every day. Your boys might like it and it is also free! My mom took us all the time and then we would get ice cream from the BYU Creamery. Have a great Summer and good luck thinking of fun things to do!

The Stephens Family

Hi Maelynn, it's Melissa Stephens. I saw the link to your blog on Susan Wensel's blog, and I just had to take a peek. Now that I've seen how much the kids have grown, I'm going to have to check on you all the time! Congratulations on your beautiful little girl! Of course, I think two boys and a girl is the best way to go! Tyler is growing up so much. I loved seeing the picture of the snake becuase it reminded me of how terrified he was of bugs and snakes and such things when he was in preschool. They certainly aren't little kids anymore, are they? Our kids are still in school until the end of July, so I'll just have to live my summer through you guys. I'll just dream of having all the fun you're having!

The James

You are good at taking your kids places. I haven't been doing so good. You'll have to take us along sometime. How is your garden doing? I'm jealous.

Unknown

We put the snake on the other side of the fence by the canal so he will probably be back and our garden is not doing so well. I forget to water so Jon will be putting in a drip system here soon.

Barbi by the Sea

Hi, Loved your whole blog. The boys are so cute and Elora is a precious little angel. So glad you rescued the blue racer. I was always trying to rescue the snakes before the bailer came along. The snakes keep the mice and rats in check. Love you all so much
Aunt Barb